A big thank you for all who attended the Local Ideas Tour on Health Care in and around Brant Riding last week. NDP Health Critic Megan Leslie and I had a significant agenda for the day and each stop was fruitful with conversation and ideas on how to make Health Care better in this country.
Meetings included an informal chat on Health Care at the Station Coffee House and Gallery, a meeting at the Aboriginal Health Centre, a healthy lunch at local restaurant Stir It Up!, a meeting with PSW Canada/Ontario Association of Personal Support Workers and a meeting with the Association of Ontario Health Centres.
All of this was followed by an important Open Discussion on Health Care which packed the Senior’s Resource Centre.
Or see our own short documentary on the visit here:
The Expositor ran a front page article on the visit which you can read by clicking the image below.
– Article by Michael Allen Marion, Photo by Christopher Smith
Also check out Rogers Television all this week for more video from the event!
We heard the very real concerns of senior’s, young people, families and service providers.
We heard that people believe good federal legislation can help the provinces deliver the best health care possible and that the Federal government does have a role to play.
We heard that people are struggling and still believe the Canadian ideal of health care is a valid one that needs defending. People want their “old health care back.” Health care that provides better coverage for people. People are tired of the threat of privatization.
So we look now to Tommy Douglas’ vision for the second stage of health care where we KEEP our primary services but we also look to keep people well through prevention, education, health promotion and healthy lifestyles.
We look to ideas like:
– A National Pharmacare Strategy to reduce costs while giving Canadian’s better and cheaper access to the drugs they need.
– We look to the social determinants of health and focus on the things that make people sick like poverty, childhood obesity, housing, the environment etc.
– We help PSW’s regulate so that they can have standards of employment and standards of care.
– We strengthen the mental health system so that it does not take such a hard toll on the physical health and wellness of the nation
– We ensure the government of the day understands that Canadians value their health care and that the Federal government has a role to play in ensuring fairness and accessibility to services across the country.
If you would like to discuss these ideas further or have any more ideas to bring to the table please contact me at anytime at email@example.com
Thanks again Brant Riding for engaging in a new kind of politics,
Federal Candidate – Brant NDP
Photos From the Day courtesy Alex Denonville: