News and Notes from August 2019:
The biggest news of the month was from attending the AMO conference with Mayor Bailey and Council Members Bell, Gatward, MacAlpine and Miller. A lot of very specific training for members of council as well as an opportunity to meet with Ministers and members of the Opposition parties provincially in formal settings to discuss community needs.
I did a daily video blog which people can find at facebook.com/MarcYourVote reacting to the issues of the day as they were presented. Just look under the video tab on that page and you will see them.
I also wanted to share this link from the Association of Municipalities of Ontario with some takeways from the conference written better and more succinctly than I can write about the week for those who want more detail on the level of policy: http://ottwatch.ca/meetings/file/599779
Upcoming Events locally to keep an eye on:
Paris Stop for Best-seller “Soar, Adam, Soar” Book Tour
Fresh from a summer of writing, Ottawa author Rick Prashaw will be in Paris, Ontario Thursday, September 12th for readings and the story behind Soar, Adam, Soar, his inspiring memoir on his late son.
The Paris reading kicks off a fall tour after a late winter, early spring tour visited 26 cities in Ontario, Vermont and California.
Prashaw, a former Catholic priest, will be at Stillwater’s Plate and Pour from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with the book available for sales and signing and a program including local speakers who have received a life saving organ transplant.
From the moment he was born, Adam Prashaw’s life was full of surprises. Named at birth “Rebecca Danielle Adam Prashaw,” Adam spent his life capturing hearts with his humour, compassion, and intensity. A life he documented in a trove of social media posts detailing his relationships, transition from female to male, and struggles with epilepsy, all with remarkable transparency and directness. What’s more, after a tragic accident cut his life short, Adam as a registered organ donor left a legacy of saving four lives.
In Soar, Adam, Soar, Adam’s father retells Adam’s story alongside his son’s own words. From early childhood, through coming out first as a lesbian and then as a man, and his battles with epilepsy and refusal to give in, the book chronicles Adam’s drive to define himself, his joyful spirit, and his love of life, which continues to conquer all.
“It’s important to create events such as this for transgender persons and cisgender allies to come together to share our stories, raise awareness, and to build a solid foundation of support for our communities,” said Finn Cole, founder and co-chair of the Brantford Advocacy Transgender Alliance who will be speaking at the event.
Ward 2 County of Brant Councillor Marc Laferriere who early this year presented a successful motion for the County to celebrate Pride for the first time is emceeing the event. He is also a co-sponsor of the event along with the Community Legal Clinic of Brant Haldimand Norfolk.
“This is to me a part of a larger effort of many to make sure we are an open, welcoming community that takes a commitment to diversity seriously as a reoccurring theme in our community,” said Laferriere. “it is wonderful that this has been supported by a community partner like the Legal Clinic and numerous downtown businesses including our host Stillwaters.”
Check out the Expositor Article Here: https://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/news/local-news/man-writes-on-life-of-his-transgender-child
And the Facebook Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2386483321598824/
A highlight of some of the activities I’ve attended this month beyond regular council meetings:
- Named vice chair of the City/County Task Force for Potential Joint Animal Control.
- Paris Drinks Fest
- Community Services Back to School Fair for Children in Need
- Meeting with Mike Schreiner, Green Party Ontario Leader to discuss Paris-Galt Moraine Bill.
- Meeting with Ontario NDP Caucus and Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath to discuss municipal matters and progressive political issues in that realm
- Meeting with Ontario PC Minister Fullerton to discuss seniors housing and long-term care.
- Representing the County at the Opening Welcome of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Grand Erie Big Duck Race at Lions Park
- Brantford/Brant Community Charity Airshow
- Grand Opening Ceremony of the 161st Annual Paris Fair and subsequent visits to the fair.
- Speaker at the Brantford/Brant Overdose Awareness Day event.
- Meeting with Community Legal Clinic regarding sponsorship of a local LGBTQ awareness event.
- Asset Management Workshop for Elected Officials
- Grand River Community Health Centre 10 Year Celebration.